The Chronological History of Weston
1639 — First English settlers arrive and establish Fairfield.
1671 — The future Weston marked off in “long lots” by the early settlers of New Fairfield.
1700s — Weston and Easton were one area, known as Norfield Parish and the region was primarily devoted to farming. Waterpower from the several branches of the Saugatuck River was used to drive grist and saw mills.
1730 — Banks Tavern established on Lyons Plain Road. The building has been fully restored and is now occupied by the Feliciano family.
1757 — David Coley, Nathan Morris, and David Godfrey summoned the first meeting of the newly created Norfield Society. The new society had the power to levy taxes, build a meetinghouse, provide education, maintain roads, and direct the religious life of its members.
1762 — Episcopal Society of North Fairfield established.
1770 — David Godfrey house built; used as a dairy farm by the Lachat family beginning in the 1930’s. Acquired by the Town in 1997 and now being restored.
1775-1783 — The American Revolutionary War. Weston had both loyalists and rebels, some of the latter joining the fight. British troops pass through on their way to the burning of Danbury.
1787 — Weston officially becomes a town as the legislature joins the parishes around the Norfield and North Fairfield Societies.
late 1700s — Davis saw and grist mill built, later known as Carver’s Mill, then renamed Cobb’s Mill when it was purchase by Frank Cobb in 1912.
c. 1790 — First post office built; now owned by the Town and opened to visitors by the Weston Historical Society. Located at the corner of Newtown Turnpike and Georgetown Road.
1807 — A 37-pound Meteorite hits Weston and eventually lands at the Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History.
1800s— Water power widely employed by small industries, particularly at the upper end of Lyons Plains Road.
1831 — The third and present Norfield Congregational Church building dedicated. Thaddeus Burr donated the property.
1834 — Gershom W. Bradley starts the Bradley Edge Tool Company on Lyons Plains Road near the intersection of today’s White Birch Road.
1835 — Andrew Sanford Jarvis established the Jarvis Military School, located on the southeast corner of Norfield and Weston Roads. The school prospered until after the Civil War.
1841 — David Dimon Coley builds a Greek Revival home at the corner of what is now Old Weston Road and High Acre Road. His direct descendant, Cleora Barnes Burr Coley deeds the 3.75 acre property to the Weston Historical Society in 1978.
1845 — Emmanuel Episcopal Church built.
c. 1850 – Lyons Plain School House built at the northern end of Lyons Plain Road.
1854 — The Bradley Edge Tool Company rebuilt after a devastating flood.
1856 — Town of Weston takes over responsibility for the education system from the Norfield church society.
1860s — High-water mark of population (3,000) in the nineteenth century. The Bradley Edge Tool Company hits its peak, employing 70 men.
1870s — Local economy takes a decided downturn as the Industrial Revolution bypasses Weston.
1883 — The first Weston Town Hall built behind the Norfield Church. Also, the Coley House Barn built, now on the grounds of the Weston Historical Society.
1884 — The first Town Meeting was held at the Town Hall.
1888 — The Jarvis Military School closes. The present dwelling house was spared from a fire that destroyed the dormitory and gymnasium.
1896 — Weston Grange established; currently hosts a winter farmers’ market.
1910 — Weston’s population reaches its historical low point at 910 people.
1911 — Bradley Edge Tool Company factory burns to the ground and is not rebuilt.
1920s —The local economy starts to recover.
1930s —Merritt Parkway opens and draws New Yorkers to the area.
1934 — Cobb’s Mill is expanded to become an Inn and a restaurant.
1938 — Town Hall expanded to include a kitchen, a larger meeting hall, and a Town Clerk’s office and continually used until it burned down in 1951.
1952 — Weston Center opens, the first and only commercial area in town.
1953 — Weston Town Hall rebuilt to its present form.
1961 — The Weston Historical Society formed.
1962 — Owners James and Cleora Coley allowed the Weston Historical Society to use the empty barn as a museum. It contains a collection of tools, farm implements, and other items donated by the descendants of Weston’s settlers.
1981 — The Society receives the house, outbuildings, and 3.7 acres of property in Mrs. Coley’s will.
1986 — In preparation for the town’s Bicentennial, The Weston Young Woman’s Club helps the Weston Historical Society restore the former Cleora Coley House.
1997 — Lachat Farm on more than 40 acres off Godfrey Road West is deeded to both the Town and the Nature Conservancy.
1998 — The Town of Weston purchases the Jarvis Military complex, which it now uses as town office space.